# Shockwaves in Bollywood: Arijit Singh Calls It Quits on Playback Singing! **Imagine the voice behind your favorite heartbreak anthems suddenly going silent in films—** that's the bombshell Arijit Singh just dropped, announcing he's retiring from playback singing after over a decade of dominating Bollywood charts.[3][1] In a heartfelt social media post, the singer-songwriter shared, "Hello, Happy new year to all. I want to thank you all for giving me so much of love all these years as listeners. I am happy to announce that I am not gonna be taking any new assignments as a playback vocalist from now on. I am calling it off. It was a wonderful journey."[3][2][4] Fans are reeling, with reactions pouring in like "This is a Virat Kohli test retirement level of shock" on social platforms.[5] Arijit's journey to stardom is the stuff of legends. He burst onto the scene with *Phir Mohabbat* from *Murder 2* in 2011, but it was *Tum Hi Ho* from *Aashiqui 2* in 2013 that made him the undisputed king of romantic ballads.[3][4] From soul-stirring hits like **Channa Mereya**, **Kesariya**, **Gerua**, and **Agar Tum Saath Ho** to versatile tracks in Bengali and Assamese cinema, his voice has defined emotions for millions.[3][6] He's even bagged two National Film Awards and the Padma Shri in 2025.[4] But here's the silver lining: Arijit isn't vanishing entirely. He'll wrap up pending projects—like his recent track *Matrubhumi* from Salman Khan's *Battle of Galwan*—and shift to independent music, live performances, and personal artistry. "Just to be clear that I won't stop making music," he assured fans, adding he's excited to "learn more and do more on my own as a small little artist."[4][1][6] Remember his past drama with Salman Khan? They reconciled, leading to songs in *Tiger 3*—proof Arijit's story is far from over.[3]
Citations
1.https://economictimes.com/news/new-updates/arijit-singh-retirement-reason-why-one-of-indias-most-loved-singers-has-decided-to-step-away-from-playback-singing/articleshow/127637016.cms
2.https://economictimes.com/news/new-updates/arijit-singh-announces-retirement-from-playback-singing-says-it-was-a-wonderful-journey/articleshow/127636622.cms
3.https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/hindi/bollywood/news/i-am-calling-it-off-arijit-singh-announces-retirement-from-playback-singing-fans-left-stunned/articleshow/127636178.cms
4.https://www.moneycontrol.com/entertainment/music/arijit-singh-announces-retirement-from-playback-singing-says-won-t-stop-making-music-article-13793171.html
5.https://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/music/fans-in-shock-as-arijit-singh-announces-retirement-from-playback-singing-101769524261886.html
6.https://m.rediff.com/news/commentary/2026/jan/27/i-am-retiring-says-singer-arijit-singh/5ccfc6e70f633eb9ebb6008c92e59a19
7.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgGSSyyY3W0
8.
9.
---
This email was sent automatically with n8n